3/27/10

I admit it, I am a bit crazy...

I've debated sharing this for awhile and in the end wanted to preserve my thoughts for my own personal history (since this is my "journal") and thought it might help other mothers who wonder if they are the only crazy ones out there. It's a long one, sorry.

I've been thinking a lot. I've been talking a lot too. Truth is, I actually have been seeing a counselor every week for the last few months. Before I get frantic phone calls, yes, I'm fine. Nothing to worry about. I just realized it was time for me to talk to someone professionally about some fears I have struggled with and can't seem to shake on my own.

I won't get into all the boring details, but I've had three counselors all tell me the same thing. I'm a bit OCD and that tends to give me some anxiety. My counselor is great. She doesn't do a lot of talking, instead she listens, asks the right questions and lets me find answers for myself. It's been enlightening. I've learned so much about myself and am finally getting answers to why I do some of the silly things I do.

I fear losing my children. I initially went in because I lay awake at night obsessing about all the bad things that could happen to my children. And during the day I find myself taking ridiculous measures trying to keep them safe. I am sure most moms have that sort of fear, but mine is paralyzing. I hate to admit this, but I've gone beyond if I lose a child, to when I lose a child. I assume it will happen and I wait anxiously, always wondering when one of them will be taken from me. Night after night, all those thoughts run endlessly through my mind. Many nights I've cried myself to sleep, some I've woken Scott for a blessing and most I find myself in constant prayer to help me through this trial. It's been a long four years.

I now know, most of my fears are an issue of control. (Hmmm, I think I've heard this before). We've talked about not only my inability to control death, but also my need for control, validation and perfection in all areas of my life. If things aren't perfect, according to my standards, I think I have failed myself and others. Perfection has become the unachievable standard by which I live.

I learned a couple things this week...

I tend to set myself up for failure and I need to learn to be realistic in my expectations of myself and others and forgiving. Caden and Abbie are too young to be worrying about how the pillows are arranged on the couch or if their toys are categorized in the correct toy bins. They are children and should be allowed to act like children. I don't want my children to remember me by how my much I cleaned or how often I lost my temper when I got behind schedule. I want them to remember cuddling and reading stories, making cookies and nature walks. I need to learn to let the imperfections slide so I can enjoy the moments that come and go too quickly. And if at the end of the day my family is happy, healthy and being taught in righteousness, I have succeeded and it won't matter that there are still dishes in my sink. Life, especially with children, cannot be orderly all the time neither are you always in control. Don't expect it and you won't be disappointed.

And "Faith and fear cannot coexist. One gives way to the other.". The power of prayer and the healing power of the Atonement of Christ are real. Have faith.

It's been good to finally address my fears and work on me a little bit. It's funny how I went in with one major concern and find out most of my "areas of weakness" are all related. I guess I'm not as messed up as I thought, just gotta work on that control issue.

11 comments:

Tiffany said...

OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGG!!!! I was soooooooo needing this! I struggle with this (perfectionist) more than I can handle!
First off, I have admired you from day one and now even admire you MORE! You sharing this is beyond amazing.....it's REAL! I am so impressed on how you have been handling this! I feel so bad that you would lie in bed in tears! So sorry Tara! I know how that feels! When I first got pregnant I had horrible nightmares of my kids at my funeral. I would wake up having panic attacks! To which I finally asked Terry to give me a blessing and they stopped. But two days before I went in they started again. This time I was more at peace because.....well....what more could I do. I planned it out, wrote everything down including letters to Terry and the kids and put it in the safety deposit box. Terry and have this thing that if something bad happens go to that box and there will be some answers.
Terry again gave me a blessing but I just couldn't shake the thought! Anywho, I was sick to my stomach those last 2 days.
I have since burned everything I wrote because it's irrelevant now.
This post makes me want to go mess up the kids room! I am pretty anal about a clean home....it's bad! OCD bad! I try a happy medium with the kids! We have all their toys in bins too, so when they want to play with stuff, we say one bin at a time( they're huge bins) and when they want to play with another they know to clean up one bin and get the other one out. That has helped me a ton!! Plus it teaches me and them that "mommy" doesnt clean it they do. It's overwhelming for a kid to clean up a huge mess. We have WAY less fights this way!
Thanks Tara! My goal this week is more baking, walks and reading with my kids!
I love you!!!!!

Tara said...

Tiffany - We are cut from the same mold! Love you.

Jemmett Clan said...

Hey Tara....You might not remember me (or recognize who I am), but I am Scott's cousin...I just wanted to thank you for your thoughts. As crazy as that might sound, it was just what I needed to hear. I know I get a little (or maybe a lot) caught up in the cleaning and organizing, but really what matters is that my family is happy and heathy. I never thought really about what my children will remember...will it be the walks, reading to them, playing with them or me trying to keep up with everything. I also love the talk by Elder Bednar that you attached (thanks for that also0!! I admire you for your courage and strength. Melissa Crowther Jemmett

Liz Maxfield said...

Thanks for being real Tara. I think it's why so many people like reading your blog and like you! I think everyone should see a counselor. The world would be a better place.

On an OCD note...the first thing I do in the morning when I get up is rearrange Danny's hair products and contact solutions that are on the bathroom counter to be in the order of largest to smallest. haha

Tara said...

Liz - I agree. I think "seeing a counselor" has a certain negative connotation to it, like you must be crazy, depressed, etc. In reality they are just sounding boards who listen, validate your feelings and lead you to your own conclusions. She reminds me how to think, rationally and logically, which I forget to do sometimes.

That's funny about Danny's products. I'd be curious to hear what Danny's OCD tendencies are. According to my counselor, we all have them, just some people have more of them and they are more intense.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

I think it's good to share because you will quickly find out you are not the only one going through this. By sharing this with us means you are a step closer to fleeing your fears. You are a strong and very wonderful person.

Theresa Rodriguez said...

I just love you and your willingness to share these concerns and fears with us. I think its excellent you are seeing a councilor because sometimes it takes an unbaist outside source to really help us recognize the root of the problem. You are such an inspiration to me and make me feel so much better about the mom I am trying to be knowing no one is perfect but when we all have the same focus and goal (being taught in richeousness and having the sprit in our home) Heavenly Father knows we are trying to do the best we can. You rock. And i love you!!! xoxo

Darci Buhl said...

So I just stumbled into your blog, not sure if you even know who I am...
Anyhow, I am so with you on the irrational fear of losing a kid. I seriously do the same thing, and thought I was morbidly crazy or something. So glad to know that I'm not the only one! It totally makes sense that its a control issue.
Thanks for sharing. Your blog is so cute!

d.scott said...

YOU'VE BEEN SEEING A COUNSELOR?!?! I thought you were grocery shopping every Tuesday from 4:00 to 4:45. Good to know.

Tara said...

D. Scott - You should hear all the talking about you that goes on behind those closed doors. Curious?

Kristi Deter ( Lambert ) said...

Tara,

This made me feel normal. And hopefully since it made me feel normal, that will make you feel more normal...know what I mean. You aren't alone, and now I know I am not either. There are never enough hours in the day. It is like there has to be a choice. Will I bee the good mom today, the good cook, the good housecleaner, the good photographer, or the good wife. What about me ? Does that even matter anymore ? I realize that now I really only know you through your blogs and the few times we get to chat, but I have always admire you. I love that you try to be perfect and achieve high levels, but I love you most for your vulnerability and inability to be perfect. Not being perfect doesn't mean not being wonderful. You are wonderful, always have been.

We all have fears, and we all have things that paralyze us and/or others around us. We all lose our tempers with our kids...but no one blogs about that, or takes pictures of that. So I think we all get this unrealistic expectation of what we are supposed to be. Which leaves us feeling like we aren't patient enough, or stylish enough, or.....

I love you Tara. I miss you in my life. I think you are a great mother. You are beautiful, strong, caring, intelligent, and more.