6/23/10

I've ruined them...

Caden was playing at my neighbor's house a few weeks ago. My neighbor has two adorable boys who are allowed to be REAL boys and explore every bit of the outside world...dirt, bugs and all that other "yucky" stuff that makes my OCD self cringe. The boys started playing with these tiny black ants. Apparently these ants are not like fire ants in Vegas who bite (I had no idea not all ants bite). Caden was very hesitant and after my neighbor asked him what was wrong he reported that "we" don't play with bugs especially ants because they bite. She explained that these ants don't bite and it was alright. Caden now has a fascination with them, thinking they are some sort of pet and allowing them to crawl around on his body because it tickles. He has taught Abbie the art of ants as well. Imagine how thrilled I am about this.(Thanks Kyrsten!)

The other day we had taken the kids for a walk and Caden found a little pond to play in. He dropped his toy into the water after Abbie had pushed him and after retrieving it noticed there was a bit of mud that remained. He lost it, completely. Through his heartbroken sobs he kept saying, "It's all Abbie's fault. She did it. I don't want to be dirty. I just want to be me".

I fear I have totally ruined my kids. Throughout my many sessions with "K" I realized I was letting my weaknesses affect my children and I know that is not fair. These are not their issues, they are mine and I am trying not to let them interfere with their childhood. I really am, but it is hard to ignore those automatic impulse reactions when they come so naturally. I have to force myself to sit there while I watch Caden allow a tiny ant to crawl on his finger, up his arm and dissapear somewhere under his clothing. Ewww. But I allow it and fight the urges that are surging through my mind, at least for a little bit. The second the kids are done playing outside, they are in the bath getting a good scrub down.

Baby steps.

3 comments:

The Haas Family said...

You are so welcome, Tara! :) I think it is totally adorable that Caden is like that. Consider yourself lucky; my kids could have a day's worth of food and mud on their clothes and sleep in 'em--no sense of cleanliness whatsoever!

The Haas Family said...

You are so welcome, Tara! :) I think it is totally adorable that Caden is like that. Consider yourself lucky; my kids could have a day's worth of food and mud on their clothes and sleep in 'em--no sense of cleanliness whatsoever!

Callie said...

Within the first 2 weeks of preschool, the teacher always reports my children are "so funny!" and they "just hate to be dirty, don't they!" I wish I could say it was their nature but really I'm just as "funny" as them and so I understand this struggle you're having. Luckily they have those fun little buddies that show them how it's done!