12/22/10

Florida

We're sitting in the Dallas airport waiting to catch the last leg of our flight home from Florida. (sidenote - the Dallas airport is the best airport I have ever been to. Not that I have a lot of experience with airports but it is clean, well designed and has lots of yummy places to eat and fun shops to pass the time. I don't mind layovers here!)

Florida was a blast! Our first day there had me a bit nervous with the storm that hovered over the city, extreme humidity, frizzy, uncontrollable hair and visiting some pretty ghetto areas. We were convinced Florida was a bust, but after a bit of research we knew how and where to spend the rest of our time.

Here are some of the things we did besides eating and shopping (which seemed to occupy most of our time)... Why does it feel like you eat non-stop on vacation?

- Slept in. I can't remember the last time I woke up on my own and not because one of my little ones was hungry or wanted to watch cartoons. Our bed was so comfy and I slept like a baby every night. Even though we played hard this week, I am returning home well rested. Everything about our hotel was nice, definitely no complaints.
- The men golfed while us girls relaxed at the spa. Massages, facials and pedicures!
- Saw Tron and How Do You Know (I would not recommend the second one. Worst movie I have seen in a long time)
- Yacht tour of South Miami. Saw Star Island and tons of gorgeous mansions, including P-Diddy's or whatever he is calling himself these days, as well as South Beach.
- Laid on the beach, by the pool and soaked up as much sun as possible before heading back to the snow.
- Airboat ride through the Everglades, held a baby alligator and saw four more HUGE ones swimming around our boat
- Laughed harder and longer than I have in a long time. There's quite a few comedians in our family.

I'm so blessed. It's been a long time since my family was able to get away together and with Jake leaving on a mission this spring, we needed this. It's hard with all of us growing up, expanding our own families and living in different places to find time to enjoy each other like we did when we were little. As much as I missed my kids and nieces/nephews this was a great opportunity to be together as siblings with my parents to remind us of these special relationships we have and will always have with each other.

This trip also reminded me how blessed I am to have incredible in-laws that are willing to keep my little ones safe and happy while we are gone. I wasn't nearly as anxious as I thought I would be. I knew they were in great hands and they were being loved and taken care of as if Scott and I were there ourselves. In fact, I'm not even sure if the kids missed us at all. When I called to check in, they were usually too busy playing to talk. A HUGE thank you to Chip and Kathey for giving Scott and I this opportunity!

Almost home and lots to do in the next few days. I have promised the kids sugar cookies and a movie on Christmas Eve, cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate on Christmas morning and lots of other fun stuff. Plus, it's the Maxfield's turn to be together. We get to spend a week with Scott's family now and I anticipate more food, games, movies and late nights of laughing. Can't wait!

I might need another vacation after the holidays.




































Scott trying to talk me into it, can you tell I am freaking out?


















Scott's very persuasive!
















View from my mom's room!

No comments: