There's a few "classic" stories my parents love to tell about raising my sisters and I. Apparently, we use to fight...a lot. I guess one day they couldn't take it anymore and called us all together to inform us that we were being split up because we couldn't find a way to get along and show our love for each other. I was being sent to Alamo to live with my aunt. Erica was going to live with another aunt in Henderson and Ashlee was moving to grandma's house. They were keeping Cortney because she was too young and I am sure didn't contribute as much to the chaos as us older three did. =)
We were instructed to pack our bags and meet them out front. I was scared to death, but obediently packed my favorite outfits, toys, etc. and went out front. I'm not sure why I went first (maybe I was the worst of them), but my memory is that my dad was already in the truck waiting for me. Was he serious? I started to cry. He motioned for me to get in and by this time I was beyond hysterical. I shut the truck door and looked out the window and saw my sisters also bawling and begging my mom not to let our dad take me away. I am sure it was only a few seconds, but the torture seem to last forever. Finally, my dad told me I could get out of the truck and head back to my mom and sisters. He gathered us all together and explained that we were family and are suppose to love each other and be kind towards one another. The rest of what happened is a bit blurry, I must have been too traumatized to focus. I remember hugging my sisters and promising we would love each other and never fight again. Years later, my parents admitted to getting a kick out of their parenting techniques...and at our expense!
My parents would be happy to know that their scare tactic still works like a charm!
Yesterday, Caden and Abbie were fighting in the tub and I was fed up. They fight so much! I remembered that experience from my own childhood and decided to take action. I "angrily" pulled them out of the tub and demanded they get dressed and get their things packed because they were being separated. Caden began to cry immediately and begged me not to take his sister away from him. I let him cry/beg for a few minutes so I was sure he was internalizing the situation. I left the room for awhile to take care of a few things, but I could hear him telling Abbie he would be nice if she would stay. It broke my heart. I returned and he continued to plead with me, promising they would try harder to get along. We had that same talk I received years ago about loving each other and showing kindness. The tears ceased and were followed with hugs and smiles of relief they were staying together!
The funny part about the whole thing was while Caden is begging me not to send Abbie away, Abbie is begging me to let her go live with Aunt Ashlee. Go figure.
Bad parenting? Brilliant technique? I don't know. But I do know from experience it worked, at least this time. Do you think they will fall for it twice?
5 comments:
Aunt Ashlee, how rude!
Don't be suprised if I use this technique when I have kids lol! I loved this story! Hope u guys are doing good, hopefully we get to see u sometime soon!
Genius.
I am laughing hysterically, Tara--especially about Abbie! I just might have to try this one.
The moral of the story...at least they love their aunt. My kids always seem to be fine with this kind of situation if they get to go stay with aunt Mary, Aubrey, Jessica, or Linda! I guess it is a good thing... the only bad thing is that you will have to think of another scare tactic and someone that they wouldn't want to go live with:)
Post a Comment