Tonight we went to the park with the Sorensen's and Oblad's. We were celebrating Taylor's passing of the Nevada Bar Exam (Yeah Taylor!). The playground was packed and as soon as we got there and sat down we overhead a father SCREAMING profanity at his two daughters who appeared to be around 6 and 9. He was yelling things like, "it is all your fault" and "you are so selfish and stupid" with the worst swear words you can think of tossed in there as every other word. The older daughter stood up and started to yell back at him and then I heard him say, "here...if you want to kill yourself, just go ahead and do it here while I watch" and he handed her a KNIFE from his pocket. I couldn't believe it! She just stood there with the knife in her hand and after a few more minutes of yelling at her, he took it back. Then he picked her up and held her upside down over the pond telling her he would hold her under and help her drown herself. I was freaking out so I walked over to them (Scott and Taylor followed me so I was safe, no worries) and asked him if everything was alright. I told him it was not appropriate to speak that way to his daughter and especially in public with so many little kids around. He apologized but said his daughter was spoiled and having some issues. I told him I saw him give her the knife and asked if they need any help, he said no.
I thought that would have been the end of it, but he just picked up the family and moved to the other side of the fence and continued his abuse. I was so ticked...I called the cops! What made me even more upset was the fact that it took the cops a half hour to get there. What part of a father handing his daughter a knife and challenging her to hurt herself is not an emergency? UGH! Once the cops finally got there they split the family up and were talking to all parties. I didn't stick around to see what happened in the end, but I have been bugged all night.
If he felt comfortable enough to behave like that in public, it makes me sick to think what goes on in their home. Of course, I don't know the entire story or what provoked him but I do know there are lines you don't cross no matter how upset you get as a parent. I think I am really naive when it comes to bad things that happen in this world, my stomach can't handle the truth. There is no reason to this post, I am just venting.
15 comments:
I cannot believe that! That is so sad...
There are some really horrible parent's out there and there was nothing that should make that ever okay. To hold her upside down over the pond. My husband spent some time in Foster Care and unfortunately his mom still didn't leave the guy. You did so good by calling the cops and everything. I Hope the Police take further action against him.
How Crazy! I am so glad you said something. so sad
Oh and I can't wait to see what Scott thinks of our place:) It's pretty funny, you will need to see it to give us all some sympathy:)
wow thats crazy but good for you for calling the cops! Its insane it took them so long to get there!! Was this in utah or vegas?!
Oh, my heavens. That is so so sad and so so scary. I hope the girls told the truth to the Cops so that they can (hopefully) get the help they need. Heartbreaking.....
How heartbreaking. : ( pray pray pray......
WOW!!! There is NO excuse for him. No kid deserves that kind of abuse!!! I don't care how spoiled they are. SAD!!! It breaks my heart to see kids in situations like that. Good for you for doing something. Maybe you got that dad thinking about his behavior.
Good for you Tara! that makes me happy that you went and stood up to him and called the cops!
Holy shiz!!!! My heart is beating so fast! I seriously want to POUND that dad!!! No excuses....he's a JERK!! UGH! It's sad to know kids are born into homes with parents that are abusive! So sad! Good for you Tara for going over there I would have done the same thing!
My dad had an extremely abusive father and he turned out to be one of the BEST people in the world. Sometimes it takes opposition to mold people into extraordinary individuals. Don't get me wrong...the dad is horrible and should definitley have consequences, but I just wanted to mention there might be a silver lining. You did good.
Wow! That is just disturbing... I am glad you called the cops. HOPEFULLY they will do something about creeps like that!
Come back to Utah! I can't guarantee less crazy's...just different kinds of crazy's!
I was so hoping you were going to call the police as I was reading. Hope they throw the guy in jail! Terrifying to imagine the little spirits subjected to that on a daily basis.
That totally breaks my heart. I am so glad that you said something. There is no justification for any parent saying or doing those things! 6 and 9? What! I am so sad!
Post a Comment