According to my counselor "K", I should continue to write about the things I get out of our weekly time together.
I'm a perfectionist. Not just in one or two areas in my life...I feel constant pressure to be perfect all the time in every aspect of my life. It can be exhausting. I never feel 100% in any one area because all day I am pulled in a hundred different directions, rationing my time, attention and energy the best I know how to. I work from home so when there are things that need to be done, I feel awful that my kids are being neglected. When I take the time to do something really fun with the kids, I don't leave myself enough time to finish my Relief Society lesson. When I take a little time for myself and go running, I don't get the gourmet meal I had planned in my head on the dinner table. It doesn't matter what area I chose to work on that day, in my mind, there are always other areas of my life that are being neglected and I am left feeling less than perfect. Anyone else feel this way?
I've been working really hard on cutting myself some slack and doing the best I can with what I have. I was surprised with some of the comments/e-mails I got after my last post. Many expressed relief that in my post I admitted I was struggling and not perfect because they've been watching from the outside and apparently my life seemed a little too perfect. I blame it on the blogging world. Most people don't post about their real lives, but rather the glorified version of it. I'm guilty. Most times I try to be real, but let's face it, real life isn't always pretty. In fact, many times it can be down right ugly and who wants to admit that?
I love the blogging world, but the dangerous part is that we all put our best face/life forward and this perfect standard is set which we all use to measure ourselves against. All of us fall short of this perfect standard in one way or another, making ourselves feel worse about who we are and what we have accomplished. Why do we do this to ourselves?
I gotta break this habit, at least for myself. I actually found it somewhat liberating last week to admit I am nowhere near perfect and a lot crazy at times. The best part was I still got lots of love and encouragement from many of you. Imagine that...nobody expects me to be perfect except myself.
So, as to not add to the "picture perfect blogging life" here's a list of some of my imperfections...I can't tell you all of them because (1) we'd be here for days (2) that would be just plain embarrassing.
- I only wash my hair every three days, sometimes I can get away with going four.
- I'm cheap. I wash red, Costco cups because I think it is wasteful to use them once and throw them away.
- I NEVER make my bed.
- My face breaks out really bad every few weeks and I pick, leaving scabs and scars behind.
- I may or may not have gone to the grocery store without a bra on, on more than one occasion. Trust me, you can't really tell the difference which leads me to...
- I wear a very padded bra, especially after nursing Abbie.
- I cried last week when I spilled bleach on my favorite workout pants because I'm too cheap to buy another pair for $20.
- I watch Days of Our Lives, pretty much everyday thanks to my TIVO.
- I never say "No" to dessert. I just can't do it, I have no self control.
- I lock myself in the bathroom for "mommy timeouts" often because if I hear "MOM" one more time I might just explode.
- I don't handle stress well. I have ulcers and practice relaxation techniques to help.
- I hate getting dressed, doing my hair and putting makeup on. Scott thinks I have gotten too comfy in my small town life. I don't get dressed unless I have to.
- I live out of my suitcase for weeks after coming home from a trip. I hate unpacking.
- I suck at baking breads. Yeast is one of my worst enemies.
- If I'm really tired I chose not to brush me teeth or wash my face at night. Gross, I know!
- No matter how much I work out, I can't get rid of the little dimples on my butt or the extra flab on my stomach.
There, I said. I'm not perfect and imperfect feels pretty good sometimes.
15 comments:
I think I do 90% of that list as well. You are not perfect and I wouldn't have you any other way. Love ya!
If it makes you feel better:
I never wash my face
I eat 1/2 a bag of chocolate chips a day
and I always go 4 days without washing my hair
However, I buy way to many pairs of yoga paints :)
I put a big fat check mark next to most of the things on that list as well... love it. Add to my list that I am outrageously unproductive most of the time. Of course that is in comparison to Ryan who never stops being productive EVER. That in and of itself is a problem he could use a shrink for... subconsciously trying TOO hard to never be his father
Stacey - I firmly believe everybody could use a shrink at least once in their life. We all have issues in one form or another, don't we? You wouldn't believe how much you can learn about yourself from a complete stranger. Very enlightening and liberating.
Ditto to all! Well except the mom and married stuff! I especially love the yeast one! I tell everyone all the time I can bake or cook anything but I cant do Yeast and now I have a fear of recipes that involve it. HAHAHA!
I think you are great just the way you are! I think we all sometimes feel the need to be "perfect" or that our neighbors are and we just don't measure up. Like everyone else, I think probably 80% or so of the list matches me (I only brush my teeth at night maybe once a week) and I have my own flaws to throw in as well. :)
I checked more than half od your list as "imperfections" of mine as well :) Camille does the red cup thing (I just recycle them to make up for the rediculous amounts of paper towels I use everyday).
Chris would say the worst is the DOOL--I have watched it since I was 12 and I just can't seem to stop.
It is hard for all of us to come to terms with what we think are our imperfections--but they make us who we are so hopefully we can do it!
I love you and your dirty mouth and dimply butt. :) Youre amazing and its so nice and refreshing to hear things others do as well. I do a LOT of those same things so we can start a notsoperfectbutstillsuperawesome group!!! Youre the captain and I am the co-captain. :)
1) I need "K"s number!!!!!
2) That list is cute not imperfect!
3) Seriously....."K"s number!
4) Ditto about EVERYTHING!! Betcha Im flatter then you too! trust me! It's bad! Im serious, Ive won money because people think they can beat me in that department...NOPE I AM THE FLATTEST! Doctors have told me that too!
SO, whats crazy is I was JUST crying to Terry the other day about being so overwhelmed!! In fact, Terry made dinner the other night and I freaked because it made me feel so bad because I thought I was a bad wife!! Seriously! Nuts I know! Why dont we talk more! I would learn so much from you! We need to chat!!
I love you girl! You are amazing and I look up to you!
What are you talking about?!?! My life is totally as perfect as my blog makes it look! :) haha I think if I made a list of some of my imperfections I wouldn't have any more friends. hahaha
I think you are so funny to put this list out there. I love it. I am glad you never make your bed, because you are such a clean freak and I am far from that. Making my bed is pretty much the only thing I do everyday. I have been reading your posts and am thankful that you are sharing this because a lot of the feelings and emotions that you experience, I experience myself. Even though I feel bad that you are having rough times, sometimes its nice to know that other people are feeling the same way. That probably sounds awful.
I agree with your comments on how we all make post the most wonderful things on our blog...but that is not always the way life is...why do we do that? Why are we so afraid to show who we really are? But yet we are willing to share SO much PERSONAL information on blogs....
We all need to study some of the conference talks from Saturday morning on mothers, women, wifes, etc. That we where we can truly learn to be who our H.F. wants us to be (I need to do a post about this)...
You so crack me up, Tara.
Just wanted to check in with you. How are you doing/feeling? Miss you!!!
Post a Comment