4/18/10

Hope

One of the things I have mentioned to "K" on more than one occasion was that sometimes I feel like there are too many things out of my control and that makes me feel helpless and a loss of hope. Like I am merely being acted upon and must accept whatever hand I am dealt. This thought has bugged me for some time.

A few weeks ago I had decided I was going to fast during the sessions of General Conference. There are so many BIG things going on in our life right now and I was needing direction, comfort, peace and perspective. Usually, I walk away having been hit hard by at least one or two talks so I was anticipating that "ah ha" moment. However, this time I didn't have that defining moment of clarity. Instead, I had tons of them. With each speaker that delivered their message, I felt overwhelmed by promptings, thoughts, feelings, clarity and peace that flooded into my mind and heart. I seriously felt like a million warm fuzzies were being dumped all over me and I felt a sudden spiritual renewal.

In my state of feeling helpless and hopeless I had forgotten. Even though I may not always be in control, it doesn't mean my life is out of control. As long as I trust in God and His Son my life will always be perfectly guided. The fact that I sincerely asked for help that weekend and received more than I could ever deserve gives me hope that I am never without a choice. I may not always understand what happens in my life and I may feel pain during those periods of personal, spiritual growth. But I am comforted knowing I have the option and ability to call on the One who will always know what is best for me and he will answer. The choice will always exist to turn to Him, no matter the struggle, and He will give you the answers, comfort and peace that you need.

Such a simple truth I have been taught since I was little. I'm so glad I finally learned and felt what it means. For the first time in years, I feel hopeful.

5 comments:

Ann said...

Thanks for keeping it real, Tara. It's so fun to read a REAL post which reminds me that we really are all in this together. I loved reading your post of confessions. And you know what? My bra size is 36 A (I'm wide and FLAT) Yikes!, my kids only started brushing their teeth regularly about a year or so ago, because I just could not find the energy to enforce it before, I wet my pants on occasion, and I cannot keep a clean car to save my life--just to name a few. So don't you worry. You're in good company.

Tara said...

Ann - I have wet my pants on occasion too, a good laugh is well worth it. And my car is a constant mess. So glad to be in good company!

Unknown said...

opps. i should have read this post before I commented on the one before!

Lemon Family said...

Your third paragraph is a wonderful testimony and realization. It's a great to be reminded of things like that.

Kristi Deter ( Lambert ) said...

:) You did it. I still think you are perfect. Perfectly imperfect...I like you even more now.