I went to bed last night worried about so many things, but Primary Children's Hospital is so good at what they do and catering to children. She was distracted and entertained from the moment we arrived to register until the very second she was put under. Despite being up and starved at 5 am, she was happy throughout the entire process. I was mostly dreading the moment when the anesthesiologist would take her from Scott and I and walk her into the operating room. I thought for sure she would panic and have a melt down. I was wrong. They let her pick out a Little Tike wagon or car and she got in to go for a ride. They let us push her down a long hallway and then without her really knowing, we slipped out and the doctor finished giving her a ride. Before she knew it, she was inhaling bubble gum "happy gas" and then the lights went out.
I have to admit, I did get a little choked up and a few tears fell when they took me back to post-op. I thought she was sleeping because her eyes were closed but she had a pained look on her face, almost like she had fallen asleep crying and her face stayed that way. The nurse gently stroked her face and told her "mommy's here" and her eyes immediately opened, she jumped up and fell into my arms sobbing. They had just taken her breathing tube out so when she cried, not much came out and that scared her, so she cried harder. I cried along with her.
They moved us to another room where I got to cuddle with her on her bed and watch cartoons until she was released. They kept telling me she would feel the effects of the anesthesia the rest of the day so expect her to be loopy, calm and tired. They lied. From the moment she was released she has taken at the most a 30 minute nap. She came out of there hungry like she hadn't eaten in weeks and full of energy. I was looking forward to cuddling with my baby girl all day...oh well, at least she is healthy.
Tonight, as I was putting her to bed, she patted her belly and told me "doctor fixed my belly" and just before she closed her eyes she whispered, "I love you so much". I may have cried...again.
Pre-Op
Post-Op
Inhaling a doughnut ten minutes after leaving the hospital.
3 comments:
I am so glad it all went well!! Isn't that a relief?!?! They actually let me in the room when they gave Emily an IV to let her sleep before she had a CT....It was pretty crazy to watch!! But boy am I grateful for modern day technology!!! :)
I am so glad everything went well. The next time I need surgery, I am going to primary children's...do you think they will make an exception for me?
Oh, you are so brave. I can't imagine having to go to the hospital with one of my kids. I hope she gets better soon.
Post a Comment