Our baby girl turned one on Thursday, but we have been celebrating pretty much all weekend. The Wyatt kids could hardly wait to let her open their gifts so they came over Thursday night and showered Abbie with a few of her favorite things. We gave her our gifts on Friday, Papa and Nana Bingham on Saturday morning and then her big party was Saturday night.
We decided to have our families and a few close family friends over to the park to help us celebrate. My soon to be brother in law (post on this to follow) offered to help me do a big slip n' slide at the park since he had access to a water truck. A few night earlier he had offered to do this for a bachelor's party for a guy he knew and the cops showed up and shut them down. Jeff told the cops he was planning to come back that weekend to do it again. He was told if he got a permit they would leave him alone and not ask any questions. I called the City of Las Vegas Friday morning, paid $40 and got a permit to do a slip n' slide and other water activities. I thought we had nothing to worry about...WRONG!
An hour after our party started sure enough FIVE cops show up, lights blaring, scaring all the little kids, and told us to shut it down. Confidently, I handed over our permit which the head cop glanced at and told me it was not valid. After a lot of arguing we were told the guy who gave us the permit should not have given us permission, the cop who told us it was alright with a permit was wrong, my permit was not valid, and we were actually trespassing and banned from the park for 30 days. I was LIVID...after all we had already been told by two legitimate sources it would be fine, but this cop had such an attitude. Ironically, the cop who had told Jeff a few days earlier he would be fine with a permit was there, but stood in the back and never said a word. He never took responsibility for what he had told Jeff earlier...CHICKEN! To make it worse, they wanted the names of EVERY person at our party because EVERYONE was going to be banned from the park and their names would go on some kind of record. At this point I started to cry, yes I cried. I told the cop it was my party and I would take responsibility for it and not to punish my guests. The main cop insisted everyone was in trouble. Luckily, he left after awhile and the nice cops stayed to finish up. One of them apologized for the trouble, I think he knew they were wrong and we shouldn't be punished for someone else's mistake, and said they would only take mine and Scott's names along with our parents and they would fall off their list in 30 days. So much for following all of the rules and trying to be responsible!
Oh well, we got in a good hour of slip n' slide action before we were shut down. And man was it fun! The kids and the adults had a blast and looking back over the pictures that were taken reassured me it was worth the hassle. The faces of these kids were priceless! It was an unforgettable first birthday party for Miss Abbie and for everyone who attended.
PS - My dad is still TICKED...he stayed up until 2 am last night drafting a letter to all the City Councilman making fun of these cops having nothing better to do than ruin a little girl's party. Also, pointing out the fact that WE, the taxpayers, not only funded the park's development and pay for the maintenance of it, but now we can't use it...even after paying for a permit. Not to mention, WE also pay MORE taxes each year because supposedly there aren't enough cops on the street or they aren't getting paid enough. My apologies to anyone out there who may have been robbed, or in an accident or other serious situation. I am sorry we were hogging all of the cops and keeping them from more important responsibilities.
**disclaimer** - I do not hate cops. I value their role and the way they protect us as citizens and am grateful for the ones who do put their life on the line to keep me and my family safe. I just dislike the main cop from last night...and also the one that gave me a ticket a few weeks back.
Here are some photos of our exciting weekend...
Abbie getting spoiled by the Wyatt family...
Sleepy face on her big day...
Happy about the dollhouse my mom got her, I love this silly face...
Trying to figure out what bathing suit she would wear to her party. She has a herniated belly button which is kind gross so we opted for a one piece instead.
Abbie kicking back and enjoying the park and her party...
BIRTHDAY GIRL...
Aunt Ash showing the little kids how it's done...
Caden thinking life couldn't get any better...
Aunt CoCo, Me and my mom...
CoCo, Abbie and I...
The Train...
Maxfield Men and a not so happy Abbie...
Dad and CoCo
Wyatt Family...
The one on top belongs to my youngest sister. Can't wait for him to join our family...crazy guy!
So much fun...
Look at their faces...everyone had a blast!
And then the fun ended..
Seriously, were ALL those cops necessary?
The "not so nice" cop and my dad arguing...
On with the show...Abbie had lots of help with her cake...
I knew I would cry at my baby girl's first party, but I didn't think it would happen this way. Oh, the memories! Thanks everyone for a fun time and I promise next year, no drama or cops!
11 comments:
Come on Tara,
I am sure they would have left you alone had you been drinking, doing drugs and being really loud and obnoxious. Overall it makes for a great birthday story. Just think it could have been sweet and boring. At least we didn't have to bail anyone out. That would have made great headlines! lol :)
Hey could you and Erica have put up a better picture of me? jk Hey it was a blast even with that ass of a cop!! haha
im so glad we came to be there for all the fun and the drama! It was so worth it. especially when anna went down the slip and slide in her white shirt lookin similar to the penguine. You have such a beatiful girl and an amazing family and I am so excited we are going to be even more closely apart of it. :)
well it sounds like a great time to me!
eww I HATE when cops get that attitide and i will tell you why they were such jerks...they were those MARSHALLS! They always are the biggest jerks. They are just pissed because they couldn't be real cops. :) I hope you got ahold of their bosses im sure that was inappropriate for them to act like that.
No cops, next year?? We're not coming. LOL. I think it should be a goal to find new, uncriminal, & harmless ways to attract cops to carry on the tradition. However, as she gets a little older it could get more shady. :)
She's too sweet. Thanks for the memorable night!
What a mess with the park and the cops! I am sure Abbie will be none the wiser and that she loved the attention :)
Her belly button is so much like Prelsey's--it bugged me too, especially when I was bathing her or had to touch it. The two-piece was darling though!
This story is too FUNNY! What a memorable birthday. Abbie is just adorable and we wish her a very happy year to come!
Well congatulations to Abbie! I do think it is funny that your dad is banned from a public park.
That's awesome though! What memories you'll have of Abbie's first b-day! HAPPY B-DAY ABBIE!
Post a Comment