Wow. What an emotional few days. I said goodbye to my baby brother on Wednesday for two whole years. All my life I've watched families send sons and brothers off and I knew it was a bit sad and I admit sometimes I even thought they were being a little dramatic about the whole thing.
I rarely admit this (ask Scott) but I WAS WRONG, I HAD NO IDEA IT WOULD BE THAT HARD.
I'll spare you all the details but let's just say it was heart wrenching when Jake wouldn't let go of my mom. She attempted a few times to pry his arms off her but he just kept holding on. We all bawled. But after a few minutes Jake picked his head up, grabbed his luggage and walked away ready and worthy to serve the Lord and the people in El Salvador. We are all so proud of him.
These last few days I have worried a lot. I'm not sad I won't see him for two years, it's more I am worried about how he will handle the work, the new language, the culture and the living conditions. Let's face it, we've been spoiled growing up. Jake is the only boy and the youngest in our family so he's basically had five mothers his whole life looking after and babying him. I've spent a lot of time on my knees asking my Heavenly Father to comfort Jake, to help him adjust and to give him strength. I'm so grateful for prayer. With each prayer I have felt an overwhelming assurance that he is alright and that there is more growth going on with him right now than ever before. He is ready for this. He has lived his whole life until now for this opportunity and experience. I can't wait to see the man he becomes.
It's a good thing I live so close to the MTC. I'm taking full advantage of $1 same day delivery on all packages to missionaries. What can I say? I'm going to continue to spoil him until he leaves the country and then I might have to scale back the packages to one a month!
2 comments:
Go get 'em Jacob!
How exciting! I am sure it was hard to say goodbye. I have never thought they would be easy at all. I am really excited to live closer to you this JULY! Yippie!
Post a Comment